« What's Eating Gilbert Grape »

6 comments

Comment from: drew [Visitor]
drew

*Crash: Best Picture* is U.P. (under protest), that movie was not unique, not groundbreaking, not thought provoking, not eye opening, not provocotive, not the best movie of 2005. it was entertaining. but it was also “formulaic and trite". (stolen from a friend of mine who shares this thought)

03/08/06 @ 15:16
Comment from: drew [Visitor]
drew

did you see Brokeback?

03/08/06 @ 15:22
Comment from: [Member]
Privatjokr

I absolutely lost myself in Crash. Loved every minute of it while it took our “Melting Pot” of a society and broke it down to the most minute of prejudice.

I did see Brokeback and it was good. Not great. Good. I thought the casting of those two leading men in those two leading roles was horrible. I thought the story was weak and non-deserving of most of the press it received. It was all over the media that this movie would have not been on the radar had it been the “love” between a man and a woman; I wholeheartedly agree.

Ang Lee spoke about the beauty of the love between Heath’s and Jake’s characters as he accepted his award, but there was no love in that movie. There was prison sex and semi-frequent rolls in the hay. There was absolutely no depth to their relationship because the time and places they lived in made it prohibitive.

The only one in that entire movie with any true emotion behind her part was Michelle Williams and since then all that has come is her high school saying that they don’t condone her work. Go figure.

03/08/06 @ 15:48
Comment from: Moyer [Visitor]
Moyer

When has the Best Picture winner ever *really* been the best movie that was made in a given year? We shouldn’t be weighing any opinions of movies based on awards received. The Oscars are not a barometer for a movie’s quality, although they can expose a wider audience to hidden gems. So who cares which movie was judged better than the other by an arbitrary panel of voters? The quality of a movie cannot be judged in quantitative terms; you can’t rank any movie or performance against any other, because it’s all subjective anyway.

End holier-than-thou rant.

03/08/06 @ 16:06
Comment from: [Member]
Privatjokr

That’s the thing though, Crash was the best movie I saw in 2005. I think the Academy got one right.

03/08/06 @ 16:20
Comment from: Edward Copeland [Visitor]
Edward Copeland

If anyone around here is interested, we are in the final week of a survey to determine the worst best picture winners of all time on my blog. Click here for details.

03/25/06 @ 10:12